Thursday, 2 October 2014

In My Kitchen - October 2014

Welcome to my first ‘In My Kitchen’ post.  Thank you to Celia of Fig Jam and Lime Cordial for the opportunity to join this inspiring series. I will be sure to check out the other October posts.

In my kitchen this month, my cookbook and writing stash has been further expanded. Thanks to the trash ‘n’ treasure markets, and a little online shopping for the first batch…


…and the annual Spring Lifeline Bookfair for most the second batch, as well as Rishi Desai's Modern Indian cookbook which I purchased off him, and had him autograph. Oh, by the way, he works in my office! Each time I go to this bookfair I think that I’ll only get a few things, however each year my interests grow and vary and I end up with a heavy bag full of goodies. I now clearly understand the need for a “granny trolley” at this event, as you can store so much inside, and it wheels for easy convenience. Next year I’ll get one, for sure.

In my kitchen is local produce in the form of eggs from Gunning.  Such a cute name and logo ‘Gunning Bum Nuts’ (GBN) makes me smile every time I open the fridge and spy the egg carton. I understand that the family behind GBN has just got an egg stamper made up in the image of their trade marked logo. Too cute.

 
In my kitchen I now have a set of 3 crumbing trays. I saw these in a magazine years ago, but only spotted them recently at new homewares store in the Tuggeranong Hyperdome, ACT.  The store: Off the Pallet, and I picked up these beauties for a crazy 60% off store opening sale.  I put them through their paces by crumbing up some delicious chicken tenders.

From the same store I picked up these cute little bowls. Just the perfect size for photo props for my food photography hobby.

 
Now for a little something grownup - Campari.  I really think my tastes are changing, maturing even. Campari. It’s bitter, orangey, herby and just begging for warmer days, freshly squeezed orange juice, and ice filled glasses.

 
Viewed from my kitchen window are our blossoming fruit trees.

Happy October to you all, Kirsty

29 comments:

  1. I recently borrowed the Rishi Desai book from the library and it is really good. I love the little bowls too- you can't have too many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Francesca! Glad to hear your library purchased the book, Rishi will be stoked.

      Delete
  2. Love those crumbing plates! And what a gorgeous tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori, thank you. The trays actually click together which is great, keeps them from moving about the bench : )

      Delete
  3. Thank you for reminding me about the Campari! We used to drink it years ago and occasionally when we think of it we still do. So refreshing. Do write a review about 'Will Write for Food' and let us know what it's like. Love the little bowls and the bum nuts!! It's an old joke but very funny, wondering who was the first person to see an egg and decide to try and eat it? (grimace) Thanks so much Kirsty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ardys, you are more than welcome of the Campari reminder. It sounds like it brought back some good memories. I will take you up on the book review, sounds like fun. Your comment about eggs made me chuckle, I mean who first looked at a thistle and thought "you know, I wonder what that tastes like?" : )

      Delete
  4. Hi Kirsty, I just found you through the lovely Celia, and love your kitchen this month - especially all the cookbooks!
    Another Campari fan here too :) I just made a batch of blood orange cordial which I think might go very well with Campari this summer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and hello there! Oooh blood orange cordial sounds great. Is that using Red Belly blood oranges by chance? Have you tried Solerno? Its an Italian blood orange liqueur and its delish! I have a cocktail recipe on my blog using Solerno. Thanks for dropping by : )

      Delete
    2. Yes, Red Belly oranges, they’re great aren’t they? I haven’t tried Solerno, but it sounds like I should :)

      Delete
  5. I always get carried away at the book sale too, my recipe book collection is getting huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becca. I had to re-jig my bookshelves after this year's haul! Glad to hear I am not alone ; )

      Delete
  6. I haven't bought a recipe book for the longest time. I love the stamp on your eggs and I will have to find simiper crumbing dishes - yours are wonderful.
    have a super day.
    :-) Mandy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Mandy! Yep, those trays are a keeper. I must stock up on panko now, for a different crumbing texture.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for joining in Kirsty! Lovely stack of books you have there and I laughed out loud at the logo on your egg carton! How cute are the eggs with stamps on them! I saw trays just like that at Costco and now I might need to go back and get them.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celia, I am loving joining this IMK series. I have visited sooo many new blogs, its great to make new friends and see what's going on in kitchens all over the world, and providing a glimpse into mine. Well done for starting this series : )

      Delete
  8. Hi Kirsty...that egg carton is hysterical, I think it would bring me smile every time I opened the fridge as well! Love your stack of books, looks like you have treasures to explore and read. So glad you joined IMK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laila, so glad I joined IMK too, its really great to look at everyone's blogs, thoughts, and recipes. I have to "book" time with myself to go through all my books !

      Delete
  9. What a collection of recipe books, they will keep you busy for a while. Love, love your little bowls, the colour should look great in your photos. Thanks for sharing your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani, why thank you, I'm more than happy to share. I'm a sucker for photo props at the moment, always on the look out for different things to add to my 'stash'.

      Delete
  10. Hi Kristy, the eggs are precious with their logo; I love the colours of the bowls; and the term "granny trolley" made me laugh indeed! Also, I've never heard of crumbing trays but they are really the perfect shape and size for making tenders and milanesas and schnitzels!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, yep those trays are great. I am so happy I got them. I now have a neat 'crumbing station' rather than a mish-mash of bowls and plates conga line : )

      Delete
  11. Kirsty, love the logo on the egg carton, made me smile, also your thoughts on a granny trolley... I have often thought I should buy one. Love the crumbing trays and beautiful bowls. My kitchen things also get used as props for my food photography. Beautiful blossoms on your fruit tree. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moya. The blossoms on the trees are now accompanied with leaves, lots of leaves. Including the lime tree. I could have limes this year! : ) Thanks for stopping by, Kirsty

      Delete
  12. Hi Kirsty and welcome to IMK! Lovely first post, that egg carton gave me a good chuckle! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily, I'm loving Celia's IMK series. I had no idea it is as huge as it is. So many great blogs to pour over, so many lovely kitchens to peek into. I'm stoked to be part of it.
      Every time I see that egg logo I make a 'nngghhh.... POP' sound. I just can't help myself !!!

      Delete
  13. Lovely first IMK post, Kirsty! Love those Bum Nuts and that logo!! Also the crumbing trays are genius - I really must look out for them - I tend to use shallow soup bowls that take up sooooo much room on the counter. Thanks for the glimpse into your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Selma for your lovely words. Thanks for stopping by. I'll pop the kettle on next time ; )

      Delete
  14. welcome kirsty. love your colourful bowls. i have that cherry ripe book too. i have never tried Campari; i must give it a go sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry. I must admit I haven't gotten to the Cherry Ripe book yet, I've bought so many books of late. Nice to hear you have it as well.

      Delete