Thursday, 25 December 2014

Santa Claus Melon

Santa Claus Melon.
Christmas Melon.
Or, its real name; piel de sapo.


I bought this melon from my local Costco a couple of months ago, purely out of curiosity as I had never seen one before.  Its true name is a piel de sapo, but also goes by the names of Santa Claus Melon, and Christmas Melon. Why Christmas you ask?  because it stays ripe for the months leading up to Christmas. This, I found to be true. 

I kept and eye on it, thinking 'how can a piece of fruit stay good for so long' but I wasn't disappointed when I finally cut it. 


It was juicy inside, and had pale green coloured flesh.  The flesh cut easily from the skin. It was sweet, but not overly sweet. The taste was more honeydew like, but also reminiscent of rockmelon.


Next time you see a piel de sapo melon, give one a go!  

No comments:

Post a Comment