Sunday, 22 February 2015

Duck Egg Sponge... with Passionfruit

During the week I was the lucky recipient of 6 duck eggs, courtesy of a work colleague. He keeps ducks and said they have waaaay too many eggs, so he was happy to give them away.  Looking at the alabaster shells I thought... what could I make with these?


I turned to the world of social media for assistance. Well, actually I tweeted out a 'help!' to Fran (aka The Food Marshall) and Liz of Bizzy Lizzy's Good Things. Liz suggested a couple of sponge recipes, and Fran pointed me to an original recipe for a duck egg sponge by Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella fame. Thanks to Lorraine's trial and error, I piggybacked on her success and followed her recipe. Not quite to a tee, for I (and hubby) wanted to use passionfruit, so I subbed out her jam.

I have never used duck eggs before and didn't know what to expect. Firstly, they take a wallop to crack the shell! My usual trick of tapping a chicken egg against the side of a bowl just didn't cut it with the duck eggs. The whites were cloudier, and the yolks paler, when compared to chicken eggs.


The recipe called for beating the yolks and the caster sugar for 8-10 minutes. Lorraine made this easy to follow by stating '6' on her Kitchenaid, which I have as well. I set the machine off to do its thing and minutes later the mixture had grown in size to a pale, bubbly mass.


The result?
A tasty delicious sponge, with a stronger flavour than using chicken eggs. The recipe called for custard powder so the cake had a beautiful yellow colour and a strong crumb. I scooped out the contents of a passionfruit and let the juices dribble ever so slightly over the top and down the sides.
Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely sponge, Kirsty, with a good rise. Thank you for the shout out. My recipe is an oldie but a goodie from the 1950s, it's a nougat sponge, also with custard powder. One of my favourites. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Liz, I was happy with how it turned out. Your nougat passionfruit sponge certainly uses a different technique with separating the eggs, whisking the whites, then incorporating the yolks back into the mix. I shall have to give it a whirl. I have two original Willow 'sandwich' tins (with sandwich tin words stamped into them) from a dear friends grandmother, both of whom have passed on, so using these tins is both a privilege and a joy :)

      Delete