Sunday, 29 March 2015

Roast Beetroot

Growing up, beetroot to me meant red circular slices, in Golden Circle brand cans, bathed in pinky juices that tasted... well... like canned beetroot. I never did like the taste, or the texture of it. If I was unlucky enough to score a slice on a hamburger I would remove it in a nanosecond and drop it onto the plate of the closest beetroot loving person. There was always someone who wanted the slice. Pity it always left a red liquidly beetroot tasting residue behind...

Years later, after hearing lots of people, and lots of cooks rave about how different fresh roasted beetroot tastes, I decided to give it a crack.

I planted 8 little beetroot seedlings, dutifully watered and cared for them week after week, and now I have 8 juicy fresh beets ready for eating.

So I headed to Pinterest to get the skinny of how to roast and skin beetroot. 

Oven on.
Gloves ready.
Ready set bake...


Peel...


Eat...! 



In summary... I am converted. Fresh, roasted beets taste nothing like their canned brothers. Its never too late to try new things in life.

2 comments:

  1. My husband had only eaten beetroot in vinegar before we met. Sweet roasted beetroot that wasn't overpowered by vinegar was a revelation! If you pick your beet small enough then you can just scrub the skins and not bother to peel them.
    I've just planted golden beetroot and looking forward to eating them this summer,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golden beetroot? I'll have to look that one up. Clearly I know very little of the world of beetroot. I do now have a few holes in the veg patch that need filling. My beets kinda snuck up on me, so I didn't realise they were ready. Will catch them when they are babies next time. Thanks for stopping by Anne :)

      Delete