Saturday, 4 April 2015

In My Kitchen - April 2015

Welcome to my In My Kitchen (IMK) post for April. This fun series is hosted by the lovely Celia of Fig Jam and Lime Cordial blog fame, and is loads of fun. Pop over to her blog and check out all the lovely IMK posts from kitchens all over the world. It takes me about a month to get through them all!

My post this month has a real local theme going.  Local in that everything is from Canberra and the surrounding district.

Firstly... I have locally made Little Monster Chocolate, made using orgainic fairtrade chocolate. It comes in a  small range of flavours, and I'm gonna take my time devouring these...


Raspberry jam, from Montrose Berry Farm, from Sutton Forest.


A mug that I have been eyeing for months, and finally spoilt myself. For those from Canberra, or who have spent any time here, you would recognize the iconic bus shelter. I think this mug is just fabulous! Its the brainchild of Trevor Dickinson.


Homegrown beetroot from my own veg patch, paired with a salad of the beetroot leaves, mixed greens, couscous, dates, pecans and pork tenderloin pieces.


The Fix Juice. This is the 'vital energy' juice. I'm not doing a juice cleanse, but wanted to try one.


Lastly, and not quite all local, but it was cooked in my kitchen. A rather wonky, but darn tasty bacon, leek and ricotta tart.


Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to drop me a comment. Have a great day! cheers, Kirsty

22 comments:

  1. Hi Kirsty. happy April. Hope you are having a great weekend. I love the Montrose berry farm Jam. It is such a wonderful well made jam with lots of great flavour choices. Your beetroot and couscous salad looks like a beauty too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania, that salad was the bomb! I aim to be more creative with salads, at least lunch will be exciting the next day :) Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  2. What a tasty kitchen you have Kristy.
    Have a beautiful weekend.
    :-) Mandy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, hope you have had a great Easter weekend as well :)

      Delete
  3. Love your bacon, leek and ricotta creation... from one wonky tart to another :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haHA! wonky tarts of the world unite!!! :)

      Delete
  4. My first comment disappeared into the ether… love that you have had such success growing beetroot. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, next might be my corn. Its very small, and I think a tad too late but fingers crossed it actually form into an edible ear.

      Delete
  5. I'm having trouble commenting too - this is my third attempt! Hope you get this one! :)

    Love your tart, and that mug looks like it has an interesting back story! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celia, sorry for the technical glitches!! Yes, that tart was just lovely. A good ole standby recipe that's quite adaptable for fillings and toppings, and I pick up the ricotta from Costco at a really good price. I just love my new mug. They have sold over 800 of them, so they're pretty popular!

      Delete
  6. Love Trevor's work - and I'm going to have to get one of those mugs too, hope they aren't sold out! (ps my first comment was eaten, fingers crossed this one gets through)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love his work too. The prints are just great. I'm sure they do more mug runs if needed. Sorry about the tech glitches.... dang off the shelf blog tools!!

      Delete
  7. Always important to support your locals... love the cute mug and your beetroot salad looks delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moya. I'll have to replicate that beetroot salad, maybe change it to chicken, and add a dressing.. mmm ranch! now that would hit the spot! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Eating local is the best... Both your couscous salad and tart look amazing. I love beetroot and leeks :) EllaDee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually growing leeks right now, in the veg patch! two short rows of them, babies at this stage. Looking forward to harvesting them and turning them into something delish. Thanks for stopping by, K

      Delete
  9. Wonky be damned (and it looks straighter than most of my efforts) --- all that matters is the taste!
    Kavey (fellow IMKer)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely tastes rules! Thanks for peeking into my kitchen. Happy IMK'ing.

      Delete
  10. I love local produce! That chocolate and jam look and sound delicious!

    Just from my point of view, but all the best food is wonky. Who wants to eat something that looks perfect? Not me! Give me home made and damn tasty any day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Lisa. I just finished the Coconut chocolate ( I admit, I did it in two sittings, days apart) and it was really, no I mean really, good. A little like a coconut rough, but far tastier and the chocolate had a far nicer finish). Here's to homemade creations everywhere, humble and full of love.

      Delete
  11. I’ve also found that for some reason blogger doesn’t like wordpress as my comments on anyone with a blogspot address completely vanished! So, for the second time, I think I said Kirsty, thank you for alerting me to a new local chocolate maker (in fact I bought a bar a Cook shops this afternoon!) and I also love Trevor’s mug - I think I have a couple of his cards. That tart also looks absolutely delicious, and well done on the homegrown beetroot and using the leaves as well - I love 2-for-1 dishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, the Cook shops! I grew up in Cook. I must swing by and check out Little Oink. The chocolate is rather nice. I've polished off the coconut and the almond. I think I'll save the milk choc a little longer. Thanks Beck!

      Delete