Monday, 6 April 2015

Mmmm... Waffles

Our last trip to Sydney involved a scout around Peter's of Kensington. A multi level virtual treasure trove of all things kitchen, luggage, glass, cookware, gadgets, gifts... you name it they have it. Included in the pickings was a Christmas present for moi. 
Well, its better to get something you like, rather than something you don't. Voila... A waffle maker made its way back home.

I've used this lovely appliance a few times now, and each time it produces delicious fluffy waffles, in the shape of hearts.  

This weekend I had four ever ripening bananas sitting in the fruit bowl just begging to be made into something nice. They were waaaaay past the point of being a cereal topping, they were just too ripe. 

Two made their way into banana bread, which has been precision cut and now lives in a bag in the freezer. The ultimate way to ensure portion control!! The remaining two made their way into a waffle batter. 

My recipe was kinda thrown together, but it consisted of: 

250g plain flour
7g baking powder
15g caster sugar
A solid teaspoon of cinnamon
475ml of lite milk
2 eggs
2 small ripe bananas, and
a splash of vanilla extract

Mix the dry ingredients into a large bowl and set aside.  
In a second bowl, mash the bananas, beat in the eggs, stir through the milk and vanilla. 
Whisk the banana mix into the dry ingredients, until no stubborn lumps of flour remain. 
Apparently don't over whisk the mix, or the waffles will be sad and tough... or something like that :)  

Heat up the waffle maker, spray lightly with canned oil, and (for this model) pour in a 1/2 cup measure of the mix. Not a 3/4 cup measure like I first tried, that's waaaay too much and will drip out the sides. Stick to the plan and you'll have nice fluffy waffles, that aren't too thick or thin, and are cooked all the way through. 

After that, it pretty much became a production line.  
Spray > batter in > cook > open lid > remove new waffle onto rack.

Rinse and repeat.

I managed to make seven complete waffles. Hubby and I ate one for quality control purposes, and sadly one had an accident when emerging from the machine. I grabbed the edge with my fingers (instead of cradling it underneath) and half of it fell into the batter bowl. Oh well, I salvaged two 'hearts'. Two hearts are better than none. 

No comments:

Post a Comment