Sunday, 7 June 2015

Orange Pound Cake

Let me start off by saying, I love bundt tins, and I love bundt cakes. They look so dramatic in their various shapes and swirls, and are so very easy to make. If you have ever thought they look complicated to make... think again. 

Today's outing to the local fruit and vegetable market saw citrus in season. It is winter here in Australia, just the time to be munching down on oranges, blood oranges, and mandarins. We picked up a 3kg bag of oranges, that are sweet and tasty. I decided to make an orange bundt cake with some of them, so set about searching the internet to find a great recipe. Thanks to Table for Two, I found Julie's Glazed Orange Pound Cake.  

A perfect recipe, so easy to follow.  I did however substitute the buttermilk for regular lite milk (we had just come back from shopping, and I didn't want to make a second trip), plus I reduced the amount of sugar in the cake. I wanted it to be slightly less sweet, so the tang of the orange rind and juice shone through. 

Thoroughly enjoyable, and the added bonus of the house smelling delicious while the cake was baking! 



6 comments:

  1. That is SO impressive Kirsty!!!! Pass me a slice :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Jan. It does make an impressive cake. Every. Single. Time. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow look at that bundt! Such sharp curves to it-very impressive :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Lorraine, is the Heritage bundt tin from Nordic Ware. I had eyed it off for months.. then contacted a ton of Aussie stockists only to be told they don't carry this particular tin. Never mind... Amazon to the rescue! The tin is stunning. Heavy based and turns out show stopping cakes each time.

      Delete
  3. How good does that bundt look? It looks a bit like artfully arranged slices but SO MUCH EASIER! Win! Bet it tasted yummy too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, it is THE easiest way to turn out a stunning cake... let the tin do all the work! It tasted delicious, all orange-y and syrup-y. Next... I might do a carrot cake and drizzle cream cheese icing down the 'sails'! Thanks for stopping by

      Delete