Saturday, 4 July 2015

In My Kitchen - July 2015

IMK July has rolled around quicker than ever. The IMK series is brought to you by Celia, of Fig Jam and Lime Cordial. Pop over to her blog, grab a cuppa, and have a read of the IMK posts from all over the world. 

Canberra is right in the grip of winter, so its time for porridge for breakfasts, slow cooked casseroles, and baked apples. 

In my kitchen this month... is a catch up post showing the before and after photos of the new kitchen in my investment house. Its amazing to see just how much usuable space there was.



In my kitchen... is my nod to Bacon week, which was observed between 21-27 June 2015. Seen here are my bacon nests, fashioned from award winning Pialligo Estate streaky bacon strips curled into muffin tin slots and baked to hold their shaped. Filled with creamy, slow cooked scrambled eggs. 


In my kitchen... are walnuts. So fresh, and versatile. 


In my kitchen... are energy balls. Walnuts blitzed up with dates (and a handful of pinenuts for good measure) rolled in crushed walnuts, and coconut. I was inspired by this recipe.


This month, I went to the Cake Bake and Sweets Show held in Sydney. All manner of new products, sweet stalls, baked goodies, and celebrities were there, as well as cake decorating classes, and cooking demonstrations. My finds were:

A new range of sugars from all over the world


All things vanilla


Flavoured fudge, and


A book on finding balance with food and wine pairings, signed by the author Lyndey Milan.


So friends, what's happening in your kitchen this month? Drop me a line, I'd love to hear from you. Cheers, Kirsty xx 

22 comments:

  1. Hi Kirsty
    I love those sugars that you bought at the show. I haven't seen the coconut blossom sugar before and my favourite is the bacon nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Tania, I haven't cooked with them yet, but I did just buy a book called 'Real Sweet' by Shauna Sever which is full of recipes using all sorts of different natural sugars. I'm yet to pick my first recipe... they all look so good! Thanks for stopping by, K

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful transformation in your kitchen. I bet all meals will be wonderful made there.
    There are so many wonderful flavours in your kitchen - fabulous.
    Have a super day.
    :-) Mandy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, I was told the tenants really liked having a new kitchen to use! Thanks for popping me lil blog :) Kirsty

      Delete
  3. Hi Kirsty. The new kitchen looks great. I have that book, it is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glenda, snap on the book! Lyndey is lovely.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I love the selection of sugars and vanillas! Delicious. The energy balls and fresh walnuts look great too, as does the new kitchen. I've actually never had fresh walnuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kari, try some fresh walnuts if you get the chance, they are sooooo good!

      Delete
  5. Very intrigued by the sugars of the world! Did you taste test them my their lonesome yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cass, I did taste the rapadura at the show (they had spoons for tasting) and it was very nice, but haven't cracked open the others yet. They are a new range from CSR, an Australia sugar manufacturer that should be hitting supermarket shelves here in Australia very soon. I can't wait to try them out!

      Delete
  6. Hi Kirsty, what a wonderful kitchen you have, loved reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ania for popping by. Happy IMK'ing.

      Delete
  7. WOW! What a before and after shot of your kitchen and your photos are amazing! I love streaky bacon too!
    Thanks for this month's kitchen view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne. I found my next bacon 'project'. If all goes well, watch out for a glimpse in next months IMK. Thanks for popping by.

      Delete
  8. love the sugar packaging and the vanilla goodies - that new kitchen looks impressive and you make me hang my head in shame that I still have 'fresh' walnuts bought quite some time ago and yet to be shelled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ork nooooo! get crackin' Johanna. Life is too short not to enjoy food.... and nuts are so good for you!

      Delete
  9. I bet your tenants were overjoyed with their new kitchen, looks amazing especially with the before and after pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz, the tenants loved moving in with a brand new kitchen. I'm a tad jealous they got to put it through its paces and not me. It's really elevated the house. I showed my neighbour and she's now armed with ideas (the houses mirror each other in layout).

      Delete
  10. Oh wow, that kitchen reno looks amazing. What a great before and after shot!

    I'm loving the look of those sugars and those vanilla goodies. The fresh walnuts look so yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I'm really happy with how the kitchen turned out. Now its so functional and modern.

      Delete
  11. I love the sugars, fudge and all things vanilla. How did I miss bacon week?! The bacon nest with scrambled eggs is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how that bacon nest turned out. I sent a picture of it to my butcher on Facebook and he loved it too, and made it for his family a few days later. Gretchen, really every week can be bacon week :)

      Delete