Wednesday, 12 August 2015

Banana and Date Scones

So I heard about International Scone Week (ISW), and I am hopping on board. Thanks go to the three lovely blogging ladies of Heidi, Joanna and Celia for inventing ISW and keeping the tradition alive! Thanks too go to Tandy of Lavender and Lime blog for hosting this year's ISW.

So here goes! 

I grew up with our dad making a batch of scones Every. Single. Sunday. Sunday just wouldn't be Sunday without the sounds and aromas of his scone making, the TV announcing the opening trumpet jingle of the Sunday show hosted by Jim Waley, and the citrus juicer whirring away carving juice from fresh cut oranges. Ahhhh Sundays. 

Dad's scones were fairly typical. Standard dough, rubbed in butter, mixed until it held together and cut with metal cutter into rounds.  

I tried my hand to make these myself over the years, but just couldn't perfect the fluffiness that dad's scones attained.  

Until now. With the help of my new Nordic Ware scone pan!  The pan looks a little unconventional, but it produces the most lovely scones, each one with three crispy corners, and fluffy centres. I have made a few different flavour variations, and my latest ones turned out a treat. Banana and date scones.  Here they are before their time in the oven...


For my recipe, I used:

2 cups of plain flour
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda (bi-carb)
110g butter, cubed
3/4 of a large banana, cut into small pieces
4 dates, chopped finely
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk (plus extra splash if needed)

In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Plop in the cubed butter and either rub in using your fingertips OR use a pastry cutter (they are sooo handy!). Next I added the banana and the date pieces and made sure they were evenly tossed in the flour mixture. The date pieces needed some convincing to separate, as they are deliciously sticky. 

Next, mix the vanilla with the milk, and add this to the scone mix. Using a spatula, carefully mix the batter, until it starts to clump together. You may need to add in an extra splash of milk if required. Do not overmix the dough, to keep it nice and light. 

Then I pulled off small pieces and rolled into ball shapes. I then patted these gently into the triangle sections of my scone pan. 

Once the pan was loaded, I popped it into a 180 degree (fan forced) oven, for around 15-18 minutes, or until they started to colour on the top. Remove from the oven, and let sit in the pan for a few minutes more to crisp up. Transfer to a cooling rack.


I shared this lot with my workmates to make a Monday morning just a little easier :) 


Thank you for letting me join International Scone Week! 
I can't wait to see all the other scone creations and get some inspiration for my next batch! 

Cheers,
Kirsty 

17 comments:

  1. That pan looks like a must have for my kitchen! Thanks for sharing such a great recipe and for taking part :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kirsty, this was my first year participating what a fun event. Your scones look amazing. How lucky to grow up with a dad making scones every Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Cheri, I've enjoyed participating too! I must mark this down in the calendar for next year.

      Delete
  3. Wow - what a handy baking pan to have. It will certainly make keeping your scone shapes more easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda. As soon as I learned this pan existed I hunted it down, alas to only find it on Amazon. Thank goodness for Paypal!!!! :))

      Delete
  4. Banana and date are like a match made in scone heaven! They look really delicious!
    Glad we are connected through our love of scones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, what a great event! These scones did go down a treat. I thought about adding walnuts in for added crunch. Maybe next batch. Loving all the combinations.

      Delete
    2. These sound like great scones. I also have a scone pan but find I never use it. Maybe it is time to dig it out of the cabinet and try it again.

      Delete
    3. Definitely dig that baby out Gretchen, and have some fun :) Is your pan similar shape to mine? Its the first ever scone pan I have seen.

      Delete
    4. My scone pan is round with 8 wedges. Will dig it out this week!

      Delete
  5. these look lovely kirsty. i have never seen a scone pan before! how interesting. looks like they turned out beautifully.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen one either Sherry, but when I spied this one online, I just had to have it! I love how its so shallow on the sides. I also can't be too generous with my batter, all they won't all fit (or else, I just make a second batch) :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Kirsty, I have never seen a scone pan. Oh no, do I need one? Your scones look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically I didn't "need" one, but by geez I am glad I bought it. I love it to bits! Thank you.

      Delete
  7. These look delicious and I always have bananas begging to be used

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Johanna. Bananas tend to ripen so quickly some times, its always good to have a Plan B for them!

      Delete