Sunday, 28 August 2016

Cherry Pastries Make It All Better


Eeerrgghhh. I am sick. I have the plague. I’m doooooomed! Well, not really. It IS just a head cold but I just want a clear head again. In my congested haze I got bored and turned to baking to zazz up a dreary Saturday afternoon. With a bowl full of pie-filling cherries and a packet of cream cheese in the fridge, and frozen puff pastry sleeping in the freezer, these cherry Danish pastries were born. Nothing beats a head cold like a sweet crunchy pastry, right? 

Talk about easy!

Defrost pastry > check.
Mix up cream cheese, vanilla, powdered sugar and blood orange juice > check.
Assemble pastries, bake, glaze and eat > check, check, check aaaaand check.

The recipe is thanks to the wonders of internet searching, and can be found on Shannon’s ‘Rumbly in my Tumbly’ blog. Check it out! She also has a cinnamon roll cake that I am dying to sink my teeth into.

Ingredients:
1 x square of frozen puff pastry
125g cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
Splash of vanilla extract (homemade is divine)
Splash of blood orange juice (or lemon, if you have it)
1 ½ cups of cherries, I used Duncan Hines brand pie-filling cherries
1 egg, beaten with a tablespoon of water
Other fruits to decorate

Glaze:
½ cup powdered sugar
Add a splash of milk, enough to make a smooth consistency

Method:
Defrost the pastry and cut into 9 equal squares. Have fun shaping each piece by either turning up the sides to keep the square shape, moulding against a round scone cutter, or creating pinwheels.

Mix up the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and orange juice until light and fluffy.

Assemble each pastry by spooning on a little cream cheese mixture then top with cherries, or other fruits. Brush the pastry lightly with the beaten egg and water mixture.

Lay the pastries on a tray lined with baking paper, and bake in a 200 degree oven for around 10-12 minutes. Keep an eye on the pastries while they are cooking, as some (ie the pinwheels) will be done faster than the others.

When cool, drizzle over the glaze, and enjoy.


17 comments:

  1. I hear you re the cold:) I didn't quite have enough energy to do this level of baking though. Wish I had thought of it. Or even better, that I had had you as my cook:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boooooo to colds, especially getting one on the cusp of our Spring. I hope Serina you are feeling better soon. Next time, I'll gladly whip up a batch and send it your way.

      Delete
  2. Yum, these look delicious! I would love one for breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabrina sadly they didn't last until breakfast the next day ;) But they are an any-time-of-day treat.

      Delete
  3. Hope you feel better very soon! These look amazing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krista, my cold has finally gone (thank goodness!). These were so darn easy to make, I'll have to add them to my next work morning tea bake list.

      Delete
  4. Yum, these cherry pastries look incredible! Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, I am feeling much better now. Thank you! I was chuffed with my new found drizzle technique.

      Delete
  5. I love this!! They're so pretty. I think it would make an awesome breakfast or dessert treat. Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly am feeling better Cheryl, and thank you. I am so happy how these turned out.

      Delete
  6. I hope you get well soon, for me I can't imagine myself baking when feeling awfully sick, I will probably lie in bed and sleep all day, and the only thing I will be cooking, is a can of chicken noodle soup. It's another must try recipe added on my list, it looks delicious and love to have them on my breakfast and snacking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eloise, I was so sick of lying around and being fatigued. These perked me up so much!

      Delete
  7. Delicious!! Would love to dig into these :) It's quite impressive that you cook while sick :) Hope these little pastries brought you the healing you needed. Great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure the buttery sugary pastry healing powers were in full flight. They were delightful to make.

      Delete
  8. These look delicious and colorful, would be perfect with tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Prateek. I have future visions of making them teeny tiny, then you could pop a few with a hot drink.

      Delete