Sunday, 11 September 2016

Asparagus Tart

I was grateful to recently receive a box full of fresh Australian asparagus, with thanks going to the lovely Vicky Leng of the Australian Asparagus Council.

Today’s creations paired the asparagus with ricotta and parmesan cheese, and frozen puff pastry. An awesome combination.


For one large square tart… there is no set recipe. Just a creation of my own.

Firstly cut 5-6 large asparagus spears into small pieces, add in a handful of sun-dried tomatoes and a good spoonful of seeded mustard. Whizz that together to make a chunky paste. Next, take one sheet of defrosted puff pastry, and line a square, fluted tin with a removable base with it. Lay a rough layer of the asparagus paste mix on top.


Next top with a mix consisting of two beaten eggs, approx. 250g fresh ricotta cheese, approx. 80g grated fresh parmesan cheese, and a small pouring of cream.

Lay on top of the cheese mix a handful of the mini asparagus spears, creating a head-to-toe pattern. Sprinkle over that around 20g of grated parmesan. You can never have enough cheese!


Bake the tart in a fan forced oven set to 175 degrees, for around 25 minutes, or until golden brown. 



16 comments:

  1. Love this tart, so gorgeous and glad there is more asparagus in the filling! Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evelyne, this is my go to tart, as it uses up one whole sheet of pastry. I loved the double asparagus!

      Delete
  2. I prefer savory tarts over sweet ones, this one looks amazing. The asparagus tips look perfect, nice pictures makes me wanna grab a bite right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Prateek, although I can't go passed a good chocolate on chocolate tart... mmmm but I digress. Thank you about the asparagus. It was fresh and beautiful.

      Delete
  3. That looks like an ideal simple and tasty Spring dish. I love asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Elissa! This is a winning and easy solution to a light lunch, or a quick dinner with salad as we had. Also a great picnic dish, as it transports well.

      Delete
  4. I bit unorthodox for me I should say, as I only have them for dishes and in soup, but those are really good looking tarts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, there's a thought... asparagus soup! yum! thanks :)

      Delete
  5. How innovative....and delicious. Would never have thought of making an asparagus tart. Great pictures and simple recipe. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! it is a very adaptable recipe, and also very forgiving.

      Delete
  6. What a yummy asparagus tart -- easy to prepare and made out of simple ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, and can be a good 'fridge raid' recipe too to use up items getting close their use by dates.

      Delete
  7. What a yummy asparagus tart -- easy to prepare and made out of simple ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so pretty, and I am sure it tastes even better than it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Serina. I think next time I will really amp up the flavours and give it some punch.

      Delete