Sunday, 4 June 2017

In My Kitchen - June 2017

Hello readers! It seems like forever since I've done an IMK (In My Kitchen) post, so here goes....


In my kitchen (and freezer) this month is a whole lotta sourdough bread. I did a three part sourdough bread making workshop at Foodish, at the Belconnen Markets. David Damour, the Master Baker at Bean & Grain Fyshwick was our teacher, and guided is in making the most delightful breads. More about the course to appear on the blog soon.


To adorn future loaves are these beautiful poppy seeds. Up close they resemble jewelled dimpled pebbles.


I recently learned that Gewurzhaus Spices are opening a Canberra store towards the end of the year, yay! No more trips to Sydney, or online shopping to gather their fine wares, including this heady little number, Easter Bun Tea. It is pungent with orange aromas and heady spices, and is the perfect cuppa on cold wintry days.



In my kitchen this month, I tried my hand at the internet sensation that is the cloud egg.


In my backyard are plenty of lemons and limes. The cold weather has hit and we’ve had a couple of frosts but shhhhhh don’t mention that to the fruit trees, as they are still covered in fruit and blossoms.


In my kitchen plastics drawer is my container of choice: Lock & Lock. Sturdy plastic with clip lock lids, in a variety of sizes. Aldi this week had nested containers on special, so a couple of these ‘Babushka-like’ square nested sets have joined the family. What is your plastic container of choice? 


Head on over to Sherry’s Pickings as Sherry is the current host of the IMK series. What has been happening in your kitchen this month?

12 comments:

  1. Easter Bun Tea… I don't even drink tea and that still sounds delicious! Yes, I'm started to receive gifted citrus and fear I may soon be overwhelmed. I've been using as many as many as I can and the freezer is already full of juice. Well done of the cloud egg and thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona. I'm going to have to pick, zest and juice the limes as they are beginning to yellow. They probably don't like the bitter cold.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kirsty
    Nice to see you joining in IMK. Thanks! I love grwurzhaus oops spelling!:) but have to get it online of course. It's a long way from Brisbane. I think a lot of citrus 🍊 is coming my way soon. Lime 🍋 curd; lime juice; lime syrup etc.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooo lime curd sounds delightful! Thanks Sherry! xx

      Delete
  3. Lots of goodies in your kitchen... love that you tried the cloud egg. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m looking forward to your write up of the bread making course Kirsty, I’m definitely thinking about doing one after seeing all your wonderful bread pics! The tea sounds lovely, do they have a focus on German spices, or is that just the name?
    Re your lemons and limes, the yellow just means they’re ripening, so no need to worry, and you can freeze them whole, they defrost great for juicing. I also make lime/lemon curd (which also freezes) and Indian lime pickle plus marmalade - recipes for curd and pickle on the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beck, thank you! I've so much nifty information about bread making now from that short course, I need to wade through it all. Now my training wheels are off, I've made a few batches with my beautiful starters (I have two starters, one from apples, one from pears) so I'm still finding my sourdough feet, so to speak.
      Gewurzhaus has a wide variety of spices, salts, peppers, blends and teas so lots to choose from and not just German focussed. Thanks for the info and tips re: citrus. I never thought of freezing them whole.

      Delete
  5. I am definitely out of the loop as I have never heard of a cloud egg, it certainly looks interesting. The tea sounds delicious, looks like there is dried citrus in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the cloud egg will stand the test of time? I can't see it taking over say poached for an Eggs Benny breakfast. Yes dried citrus in the tea, its delicious.

      Delete
  6. Cloud eggs are def. an internet sensation, I will have to give them a go too. Yours look spot on. Do have link to the recipe you tried, please ? Thanks in advance. I love how your described the lentils as pebbles too :)

    ReplyDelete